A Lexus lança esta semana nos EUA o sedã Lexus LS460, e juntamente com o lançamento, veio o destaque da parte da Lexus dos recursos inovadores presentes no carro de luxo. Itens que a Lexus diz que são inéditos incluem:
- motor 4.6 V8 com “Dual VVTi”: VVT-iE no lado da admissão e VVT-i no lado do escape
- transmissão 8 Super ECT, automática de 8 velocidades
- sistema de detecção de pedestre na frente do carro
- assistência na direção para evitar colisões
- sistema de detecção de outro carro na traseira
- freio de mão operado eletricamente que entra e sai de operação quando o câmbio entra e sai da posição “park”
- condicionador de ar que mantém um nível de oxigênio dentro da cabine
- travas e vidros elétricos que podem ser acionados á distância através de um telefone celular
Official Press Release (excerpts)
The components that determine basic driving performance-notably the 4.6-liter V8 gasoline engine, the eight-speed automatic transmission (8 Super ECT), the platform, and the front and rear multi-link suspension-have all been developed afresh to impart characteristics befitting a prestige luxury vehicle of the new age. Additionally, the adoption of VDIM (Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management) and other advanced electronic control technologies contributes to an incomparably smooth ride.
Type V8 DOHC with Dual VVT-i *1 and VVT-iE *2 (on the intake side of the Dual VVT-i)
Displacement [cc] 4,608
Bore x stroke [mm] 94.0 x 83.0mm
Fuel supply system D-4S *3 (direct fuel injection + port fuel injection)
Fuel type Premium unleaded gasoline
Compression ratio 11.8
Maximum output [kW (PS) / rpm] 283 (385) / 6,400
Maximum torque [N-m (kg-m) / rpm] 500 (51.0) / 4,100
Exhaust emissions levels compared to the Japanese 2005 standards *4 75% lower
Fuel consumption measured using the 10-15 Japanese test cycle *5 [km / l] 9.1*6
*1Dual Variable Valve Timing-intelligent
*2Variable Valve Timing-intelligent by Electric motor
*3Direct injection four-stroke gasoline engine, superior version
*4Specified under the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport’s Approval System for Low-emission Vehicles
*5Outlined by the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport *68.7 on LS460 “version U” and “version U–I package”
- The newly developed high-torque 4.6-liter V8 1UR-FSE engine powers up smoothly from low to high speeds.
- The world’s first* 8 Super ECT combines outstanding starting and acceleration performance with high fuel efficiency and quiet operation.
- The front and rear multi-link suspension-comprising a newly developed platform and an electronically controlled air suspension system fitted with AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension)-provides outstanding maneuverability and cruising stability along with smooth and gentle riding comfort.
- Excellent quietness, cruising performance and riding comfort along with superior collision safety are ensured by the high-rigidity vehicle body, while the high aerodynamic performance contributes to stability and quietness at high speeds and improved fuel efficiency (with an aerodynamic drag coefficient, or Cd value, of 0.26).
- The relationship between the amount the steering wheel is turned and the angle of the front wheels is maintained at the optimum level per vehicle speed by VGRS (Variable Gear Ratio Steering), which gives a feeling of stability to the steering.
- The VDIM stabilizes the vehicle by coordinating control and achieving an optimum balance among drive power, steering and braking, thus allowing high preventive safety and ideal vehicle performance.
- The 235/50R18 tires deliver not only good cruising performance but also excellent riding comfort and reduced road noise, while the brakes provide solid stopping power, precise control and a sense of firmness (standard on all vehicles in the series except the “version S” and “version S–I package”).
- The LS460 “version S” and “version S–I package” are equipped with specially developed wide, large-diameter 245/45R19 tires and large-diameter brakes and have a specially tuned suspension-features designed to realize a more attractive cruising performance.
*As of August 2006, according to a TMC survey
One of the World’s Highest Fuel Efficiencies in its Class and Clean Exhaust Emissions
The LS460 features the D-4S (D-4S = direct injection four-stroke gasoline engine, superior version) engine, which has a dual-injector system that combines direct fuel injection with port fuel injection. This V8 engine, the maximum potential of which is drawn out by the world’s first *1 electric motor-driven VVT-iE (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent by Electric motor) installed on the intake side of the Dual VVT-i (Dual Variable Valve Timing-intelligent), and the 8 Super ECT transmission, which simultaneously performs optimal control of the gear ratio and engine torque, achieves class-leading *2 fuel efficiency and clean exhaust emissions.
- All vehicles in the series have been certified as having emissions levels 75% lower than the 2005 standards under the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport’s Approval System for Low-emission Vehicles. The “version U” and “version U–I package” vehicles both achieve fuel efficiency that is 10 percent greater than the Japanese 2010 fuel efficiency standards *3, while all other versions meet these standards. (The “version U” and “version U–I package” vehicles qualify for incentives under the Japanese government’s Green Taxation System.)
- By using Toyota’s original comprehensive environmental impact assessment system known as Eco-VAS (Eco-Vehicle Assessment System), environmental targets were set in the development stage and a lifecycle assessment was conducted to achieve a reduction of CO2 emissions and other atmospheric pollutants throughout all stages of the vehicle’s life from production and use to disposal.
- In addition to using materials with excellent recyclability, greater attention has been paid to the environment by, among other means, reducing VOC (volatile organic compounds) emissions and the use of substances of environmental concern such as lead, mercury, cadmium and hexavalent chromium, achieving the Japanese automobile industry’s voluntary goals of eliminating the use of these substances.
*1As of August 2006, according to a TMC survey
*2Compared to vehicles of similar engine displacement
*3Specified by the Japanese Law Concerning the Rational Use of Energy
Safety Features and Driving-support Systems
New Pre-crash Safety System
In line with the Integrated Safety Management Concept *1, the goal of which is to create in the future “a vehicle that does not cause accidents” by steadily moving toward a state of reduced risk, the functions of the existing Pre-crash Safety System (millimeter-wave radar system) are supplemented by three world’s first *2 features: a vehicle-front pedestrian detection system and collision-avoidance steering support, as well as a function to address vehicles approaching from the rear; to create an advanced Pre-crash Safety System (optional on “version U” and “version U–I package”).
- The vehicle-front detection system, created by the fusion of improved millimeter-wave radar with a newly developed stereo camera, enables detection not only of vehicles and obstacles but also of pedestrians. A near-infrared ray projector located in the headlights supports nighttime detection. In addition, coordination of VGRS, AVS, VDIM and other systems helps drivers perform evasive maneuvers by improving vehicle stability.
- The vehicle-rear detection system, meanwhile, consists of a millimeter-wave radar device installed in the rear bumper that detects vehicles approaching from behind. If it is determined that there is a risk of collision, the hazard lights flash to warn the driver of the rear vehicle. If the vehicle continues to approach, sensors inside the driver’s seat headrest of the forward vehicle detect the position of the driver’s head, and prior to impact the Pre-crash Intelligent Headrest shifts forward to an appropriate position to reduce the risk of whiplash injury sustained upon collision.
*1 Toyota’s safety-related technology and vehicle development aims to provide optimal driving support based on driving conditions, not only by integrating individual safety technologies and systems in the vehicle, but also by adopting an infrastructure-respondent system (road-to-vehicle) and using information obtained from vehicles other than the driver’s (vehicle-to-vehicle), leading to the future realization of a vehicle that does not cause accidents.
*2 As of August 2006, according to a TMC survey
The existing Pre-crash Safety System (millimeter-wave radar system), which warns the driver that a frontal collision is imminent and works to lessen the injury sustained on impact, is optional on all vehicles in the series.
- Along with the impact-absorbing body and high-strength cabin, further contributions toward world-leading levels of safety are made by the dual-stage SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) airbags for driver and front passenger seat (SRS twin-chamber airbag for front passenger seat); SRS knee airbags for driver and front passenger seat; SRS side airbags for driver and front passenger seat; and SRS curtain shield airbags for both front and rear seats. In addition, rear seats are fitted with SRS side airbags as standard on “version U” and “version U–I package” vehicles.
New Radar Cruise Control System and Other Advanced Features
- Radar Cruise Control with an all-speed tracking function, a Lane-keeping Assist system and an Intelligent Parking Assist system (with ultrasonic sensors) with enhanced convenience are among the advanced systems designed to support driving by lessening the workload of the driver. (The Intelligent Parking Assist system is standard on all vehicles in the series. Other systems are optional on “version U” and “version U–I package.”)
- For situations such as traffic congestion in which repeated stopping and starting is required, a switch-activated brake hold function maintains braking force on all four wheels to lessen the strain of brake operation. For use during parking, a switch-activated, electrically operated parking brake, when set to “AUTO”, automatically engages and releases in unison with the position of the gear-shift stick in another world’s first *.
*As of August 2006, according to a TMC survey
Comfort, Convenience and Hospitality
With the aim of delivering discreet hospitality sensitive to drivers and passengers by placing their needs at the center of the spatial concept, the interior design, fittings and controls were conceived to reflect the essential elements of congeniality and user-friendliness.
Along with the high-function features natural in a flagship sedan, the interior design reflects the attention paid right down to the texture and feel of the materials. This careful design is apparent not only in the visual friendliness and the feel of the controls when operated, but even in details such as the speed with which the various storage compartments open and close, reflecting a sense of discreet hospitality.
- For further refined materials, the “I package” boasts, among other features, semi-aniline leather seats, a wood-grain and leather-bound steering wheel (with steering wheel heater) and shift knob and an Alcantara®*1 roof.
- Four-zone front and rear air conditioning (standard on “version U” and “version U–I package”) allows independent automatic temperature control for all four occupants, while, in a world’s first *2, an oxygen-level conditioner prevents the cabin’s oxygen level from becoming too low (optional on “version U” and “version U–I package”).
- The high acoustic standards of the 19-speaker Mark Levinson® Reference surround-sound audio system ensure an optimal acoustic environment in all seats (optional on all vehicles in the series).
- A review of the materials, processing methods and adhesives used for interior parts resulted in a reduction in the amount of VOCs used, thereby also reducing the discomforting odors emitted from such compounds.
- The new LS460 features rear-window power sunshades, which block direct sunlight to improve rear-seat comfort, and rear-door power sunshades, which block lateral rays of sunlight and additionally safeguard rear-seat privacy (standard on “version U” and “version U–I package”).
- Controlled remotely by an ultra slim card or an electronic key, the power trunk lid allows the trunk to be opened and shut by fingertip operation (optional on all vehicles in the series).
*1 A suede-effect artificial leather by Toray Industries, Inc.
*2 As of August 2006, according to a TMC survey
G-Link Telematics Service
Operating in coordination with the Lexus Owners Desk, a dedicated Lexus call center, is a cutting-edge, Lexus-dedicated telematics service called G-Link (compatible with HELPNET and G-Security), which provides a route planning service with traffic congestion warnings.
- The LS460 boasts the world’s first *1 system that allows remote locking of doors, closing of windows, etc., in response to a cell-phone e-mail sent to drivers if they forget to secure the vehicle. Also fitted is the G-Security system with enhanced functions. In the event of vehicle theft, at the owner’s request the engine ignition and release of the steering wheel can be blocked via a remote signal from the Lexus Owners Desk (remote immobilizer) (optional on all vehicles in the series).
- The advanced-function, G-Link-compatible HDD (hard disc drive) navigation system includes a “sound library” that can hold up to 2,000 music titles *2.
*1 As of August 2006, according to a TMC survey
*2 Approximate figure based on specified conditions
Pursuing Higher Level of Automotive Engineering
State-of-the-art analytical, measurement, design and production technology, along with practiced expertise in production and quality control, add up to high-quality, high-performance automotive engineering.
- Zinc die-casting techniques based on the latest analytical technology along with skilled buff finishing and meticulous assembly are behind the seamless beauty of the side-window molding.
- The ultimately balanced engine operation and an engine tone befitting a flagship vehicle are achieved by mirror-polish finishing of sliding parts using state-of-the-art machine tools coupled with skilled visual and tactile inspection and adjustment.
- The high-quality paint finish of the body, a delight to behold, is achieved through use of the latest painting robots, optimally programmed to apply paints in the stringently selected specific colors of the Lexus vehicles, combined with the water-polishing of painted surfaces carried out by skilled hands.